Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Effects of Commercials on Adolescents


For one of my licensure classes this semester, I have been asked to write a quick reflection about the many effects that advertisers, especially those who publicize their products on television, have on the current society, especially for middle school students. At first, I couldn't think of anything that shows on TV that my middle schoolers would be affected by. However, one particular ad came to mind and I was off. Just thinking about the ad infuriates me and seeing this shower gel in my shower at home (which is used by my brother), bothers me even more. As touchy as my reflection may be, it is completely true. For those of you who might get offended, please understand that this was a required assignment for a class. This is my personal opinion and am not deserving of an ridicule from the public eye. To view the entire commercial, click here.

The following is a small excerpt from my paper that I am submitting. Enjoy!

...While observing TV advertisements, one ad comes to mind that is so inappropriate that I am even shocked, but not totally surprised, that it’s on the air. This is a commercial developed by AXE, the company that is responsible for formulating the men’s body wash that has gotten much publicity throughout the years. Though previous ads have held some humor, the most recent ad that was aired earlier this year has been the source of many discussions about morality in our culture.

This most recent commercial deals with athletes complaining about how dirty their “balls” are (in this context, balls were referred to the ball equipment that are used in various sports). However, because this ad is trying to appeal the male society, the term “balls” can be looked at another way. After seeing the commercial, I was disgusted. Not only is the advertisement trying to show that it’s ok for men to strut their stuff in a public manor, it’s going against the values that society holds over the heads of women. I am sure if a company that develops body wash for women came out with an ad that hinted around that fact that women wanted their you-know-what to smell better that the public would be horrified. However, because men still view themselves as the dominant species amongst our culture, the TV companies are going to have no problem posting such commercials on the air for all public viewers, especially the overly hormonal middle school boys who have the special ability to think about the most perverted sayings for every comment made.

Overall, I was very disappointed to see this commercial air on television. This is just another step forward to influence young viewers that it is ok to act out of line, even though the behavior is not completely straightforward. Furthermore, sales are going to spike, not only because a man has run out of soap, but because young teenage boys think they will attract more female pursuers who are only after them because the AXE wash has helped their genital areas smell better...

-Reflection by Katie Castrovinci
ELC 381: The Institution of Education

1 comment:

  1. I think I snarfed my drink when I first saw that commercial. While I found it to be hysterical I agree that there really is a downward spiral of quality with commercials. It used to be witty, now they are just obvious sex jokes that appeal to the very base of our natures. That being said I found it funny but won't let my son watch or if my mom was around I would change the channel....or if my in laws....or really any female that I didn't want to think less of me. Which in and of it self says something I think.....

    a counter point though.....there are commercials for products that help with "that not so fresh feeling" what ever that means, and a slew of commercials that are all aimed at women and their needs. While I don't feel that men are the dominant species (sex) I do agree that there is a huge rift between how men are advertised at as opposed to women. By and large men are easier to advertise for because there are a few things that work allllll the time.
    Beer ads have....Girls.
    Soda ads have....Girls.
    Car ads have.....Girls.
    And if you can throw in some humor, men are sold.

    In the end I think that culture in general has gone way to base in it's media and some high brow effort would REALLY be appreciated. If you really want to feel bad about the future of the human race go watch Idiocracy...it's funny but sad at the same time.


    Northern Cousin <3 u

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...