Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The 2nd Time's the Charm

Today was my second, and final, observation of the semester. This is the observation that I have been dreading for the past couple of weeks, but it was able to quickly sneak up on me. For today's lesson, I decided to fight my inner battles and conduct an entire hands on lesson that revolved around the water cycle. My students have started the weather unit, so I wanted them to grasp a true understanding about where water comes from and how it cycles throughout the Earth and atmosphere.

During my first class (which is inclusion, by the way), I started the game... which quickly fell apart. I wasn't able to get through the first half of the lesson without calling the students together and having a discussion with them. At this point, I was overwhelmed and stressed. I began doubting my lesson and considered asking my OSTE if she could teach for the rest of the time. However, knowing that I was going to be observed during the next class, I began compromising and alternating the lesson to fit the needs of the next set of students. I believe that my nervousness about the whole day got the best of me, but I wasn't going to let it affect the most important day of my semester.

As the first class came to a close, I was able to regain composure and quickly came up with new strategies for the next class. As the new group came in, so did Toni, my internship leader who was going to be taking the notes and reporting back to UNCG.

As the class began, everything...flowed. Without going into too much detail, I can only say that this was the best lesson I have ever taught...and this is only the beginning for me :)

Little changes that I made included having the students group up into smaller groups, rather than large groups. Also, I had the students try the activities without talking- the only thing they could do was snap their fingers or hum. Though my class was unsure of the directions, they soon followed my request and this lesson ran beautifully. In fact, my OSTE told Toni to make sure that I student taught in her classroom my senior year because of how great things have gone.. this made me :)

For those of you who are interested in the lesson I had the students do, go here and enjoy!

-Ms. "C"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...