Thursday, December 23, 2010

Keeping Up with... Katie

As I start a new semester here at UNCG, I am encountering an extremely beneficial class about Literacy in the Content Area. As part of course, I am required to keep up my blog and include various posts for future grades. As part of my first major assignment, I am going to include 4 additional posts, along with this one, that encompass my personal history with literacy and how it may affect my future classroom. Though these posts will not be too personal about my past and present experiences in life, such as a reality shows, you will gain a better understanding of who I am and how my past occurrences with literacy shape my persona today.

So sit back and enjoy.

***

What, When, And How I Read/Write Now

In the past, I was not up to date with the online programs and resources that my friends used when it came to expressing themselves. I was too worried that such writings could result in a reality show like atmosphere that I watch every week, such as Keeping Up with the Kardashians (hence the name of this blog title). Such internet programs, such as Xanga, MySpace, Facebook, Blogger, etc., were online tools that I had heard of, but never got in to. However, I finally caught up to the common trends and was able to grasp the true benefits of such ideals. For one, I could keep up with my friends' personal lives through their own webpages. Additionally, having such pages, such as my blog, gave me the opportunity to be myself. Because of my blog, I am able to catch up on my reading material and can write in whichever manner I want to. For the first time ever, I have been able to feel at ease with myself because I can get anything off my chest and not be judged by it. Between the creative titles to the pictures/videos that relate to the topic at hand, blogging and keeping up with other online tools keeps me connected and in-tune with myself and others. Because of the benefits of the present online assets, I want to require my own students to keep up with online blogs or journals that allow them to express themselves and make contact with their other classmates. In doing this, other classmates, or myself, could take part and comment on the other blogs and make any comments or suggestions that can help improve the quality and work of each student. Additionally, these corrections could benefit my students in case they are required to write up reports or reflections from past experiences while taking part in a group assignment or science observation.

The following links are examples of other blogs that I follow. Enjoy the different ideas that the creators are bringing forth for their viewers and the various designs and topics that are included, as well.

Suz's Blog: In the Classroom with Suz
Don's Blog: Everyday Educator
Makenzie's Blog: Multifarious Musings

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...