Thursday, December 23, 2010

"A Room Without a Book is like a Body Without a Soul"

Favorite/Least Favorite Books:

As a child, this was my life. Books, books... and more BOOKS! I was always seen with a book and had the hardest time putting them down. From horror stories to the tales of the Boxcar Children, I was fascinated by the imaginations of the various authors whose pieces I consumed my awaken time with. Because of my love for reading, I believe I was able to shape my skills of literacy and found out early was types of books I was/was not interested in. When it came to my own classroom experiences, I was able to keep up with the reading material and comprehension on what was being discussed throughout each paragraph. However, I did find out quickly in high school that I was not a fan of Shakespeare. Though beautiful, his graceful words and poetic symbolism was hard for me to grasp and I struggled to make sense of the true meaning of each piece that I read.

When teaching, I am going to encourage my students to pick up on the same routine that I followed as a young teen. Instead of pushing my students to pick up and read the same book as a class, I hope to have various books that my students can choose from that are related to the particular unit topic. By having my students choose what they want to read, they have more freedom to choose and are more likely to pick out something that may interest them, rather than being stuck with the same piece that their neighbor is wasting away with. By allowing my students to have free reign on what they want to read, I hope to help them spark some kind of interest in a topic, which can push them to further explore their journeys of literacy.

The following are the covers on the front of my favorite book series: The Little House on the Prairie. Each book, which depicted the personal accounts of Laura Ingalls Wilder, allowed me to fall in love with the life on the prairie with the challenges of finding shelter and a new life.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...